I am 38 years old, born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Every neighborhood I lived in, there were kids playing in front of their houses, jump rope, hop scotch, stoop ball, etc. Everyone knew everyone. If you got yelled at from a friends mother 4 blocks away for being disrespectful, when you got home, you were getting it (even if your friends mother didn’t know your mother, it got around and fast!) Kids that were trouble makers and thieves, robbed houses in another part of Brooklyn and hardly ever got caught. The schools were somewhat mixed, but everyone got along and walked to school together. Stores on every corner, not having a car wasn’t a hinderance. If you walked to go food shopping and the load was too big to carry, the stores had people who would deliver the food to your house- very convenient!
Growing up in New York had its ups and downs, like everywhere, but everyone had respect for each other. No one ever “knew” or “saw” anything. No one wanted to get anyone in trouble and NO ONE was a rat!
A year and a half ago we relocated to the west coast of Florida. We bought our first house, kids all over the block and in the neighborhood, affordable living, very do-able mortgage and everyone was friendly and waved. Time goes on, you see more and more…drugs, robberies, sheriff cars patrolling, You start to wonder but, hey, it’s like it was in Brooklyn, kids all over the place!! Then the bomb hits!
Your teenage sons start hearing things the kids are saying, people ask you your last name and start treating you differently, you talk to other people and everyone knows everything about everyone and they are all judgemental and snide. Your son starts getting called a racial name (all in fun, of course). All the teenagers are going out with each other, but your sons seems to be standing out. You apply for jobs and they look at your last name before hiring you.
As I have come to see, Florida is a VERY racial and discriminative state. If your last name is not White, Brown, Black, Smith, Doe, your immediately discarded and picked on. The kids here are openly drug addicts, they sit in front of their parents and smoke pot – some kids actually have their parents permission to smoke it…at 13! The teenagers here are also all thieves. But, unlike Brooklyn, they don’t go to another part to rob your house, they make friends with your kids to get in and see what you have. Then, when your gone, rob you and run home..ACROSS THE STREET OR 2 HOUSES AWAY!
Looking for a place to rent? Call a listing for a house to rent, they ask you your last name, you tell them, then they tell you they don’t want kids! It’s a 3 bedroom house!
If you want to get along, have friends and have a job in Florida, here are the requirements:
- Blond hair
- Blue Eyes
- Served your Country
- Last name has NO ethnicity
- Do drugs
- Agree to have your teenage kids brawling in backyards (and breaking noses, etc..WITH the parents knowing!)
- And have no respect for other people’s backyards, property or elders
- Just be all around white trash
Follow these requirements and you’ll get along great. But if you have respect, sauce on Sundays, no racial tension and be normal…then Florida is NOT for you.
But hey, this is MY opinion of Florida. This is what I’ve seen, felt and know. Maybe other parts of this state aren’t like this, but where I live it is. To me and my family, Florida sucks and should sink! I feel like my beautiful home is in a snake pit of shit. How sad is that?
If anyone reading this blog is from another part of Florida, please comment below. I’d love to know if it’s a “statewide thing” or a “county thing.”
- Perceptions of reverse racism on the increase (dienekes.blogspot.com)
- When whites say, “What about me?” (salon.com)
- On perception of racism, colorblindness, and other links (aleksandreia.wordpress.com)
- Racism still a problem: Portolesi (news.theage.com.au)
- How to Put an End to Racism (chris.pirillo.com)
- Whites Say They, Not Blacks, Are Racism Victims (livescience.com)
- Study: Whites say they are racism victims (cbsnews.com)
- WHITE AMERICA: Guess Who Feels They Face The Worst Racism? (businessinsider.com)
- Racism is ‘worse for white Americans than black Americans’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- You: Whites say racism worse for whites (menafn.com)
- Whites believe they are victims of racism more often than blacks (esciencenews.com)